Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Install Windows 8.1 Preview on VirtualBox

Install Windows 8.1 Preview on VirtualBox

Upgrade Windows, get upgrade to Windows8.


I want to test Microsoft Windows 8.1 Preview x64 on Oracle VirtualBox for many reasons. First, I know that this version is only for testing and there will be no upgrade once the test period is over. Also, no commercial release will be able to be installed over this special version. If you have a real machine, you cold give it a try.

If you haven’t downloaded ISO version, I will suggest getting it from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download





VirtualBox configuration:

For my test, I choose these settings:


Processor : 4 cores
RAM : 1024 Mo
Video card: 128 Mo with 2D Acceleration
Controler IDE to simulatea DVD-Rom 
Controler SATA: 40 Go 40 HDD (25 Go minimum)
Sound card: (selon votre ordinateur physique hôte)

I choose to create a dynamic hard drive. If I make a 40 Go HDD, I’ll know I’ll have a remaining 15 Go to test my others applications. I also wanted to run my test with a 4 processor (Intel i5 or AMD FX). You could add higher value for you video card or ram but you don’t need to put that much resource if you limit your tests for general purpose.


VirtualBox for Windows 8.1 Preview

Add shared folder if you want to quickly Transfert files from your host file to your VirtualBox Windows 8.1 Preview version. I choose to share my temp file under my local C hard drive.

Shared Folder VirtualBox for Windows 8.1 Preview

Under the Processor option under System, make sure you check Enable PAE/NX. Windows 8 run on new type of CPU. See this post: Windows 8 compatibility with Intel Pentium 4


Processor VirtualBox for Windows 8.1 Preview

Start your virtual machine after you completed all your initial setting.

Important :


If you get this error message:
Your PC needs to restart.
Please hold down the power button.
Error Code L 0x000000C4
Parameters:
0x0000000000000091
0x000000000000000F
0xFFFFF802A17BDA80
0x0000000000000000

This means that you just need to one operation to make your VirtualBox ready. If so, run the following command:

“C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe” setextradata “Windows81” VBoxInternal/CPUM/CMPXCHG16B 1

“Windows81” (with quotes) is the name of the virtual machine inside VirtualBox. Rename it and don’t forget the quotes. If you get a error message, try to type the virtual computer name WITHOUT the QUOTES.
Don’t ask me what the hell that lines do, just read the link below.


CMPXCHG16B
CMPXCHG16B

Windows 8.1 Preview Installation


If your are using VirtualBox to install Windows 8.1 Preview, keep in mind that the default button to switch from your virtual machine to your host machine is the RIGHT CTRL BUTTON.
Windows 8.1 Preview Installation

I am currently using on one of my computers Windows 8 desktop for smalls projects. I suggest you buy the Windows 8 today to enjoy the applications available in this new version: Microsoft Windows 8 - Upgrade on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment